Class 1 Nickel has taken advice from leading mining consultants CSA Global, former Falconbridge management geologists who worked on the project previously and has also reviewed independent expert reports published. The unanimous conclusion is that there is a continuity of mineralization down-dip or along strike and therefore an opportunity to expand the historical geological resource. Historically two shafts mined four deposits over a strike length of 1,000 m and data proves that mining ceased “in mineralization”.
Includes Quebec's first ever nickel mine
- The Somanike Project consists of 172 granted exploration licenses covering 45.3 km2 including the famous Marbridge Mine, Quebec’s first ever nickel mine.
- The historic Marbridge Mine site is located 40 km NW of Val D’Or and 60 km SE of Royal Nickel’s Dumont Nickel Deposit, the largest nickel sulphide resources in the world today.
- The Marbridge deposits were operated by Falconbridge Nickel, producing 702,366 tonnes grading 2.28% Ni and 0.1% Cu over a five-year period. The ore was processed at the Canadian Malartic located 25 km to the south and had an estimated average recovery of 88% producing a concentrate grade reported at 11.9% Ni. Mineral Resources are unknown at this time.
- Production halted at Marbridge in 1968. Since then, various expert groups have conducted reviews of the four mined zones and unanimously concluded that very good potential exists to define a contiguous geological resource down plunge and along strike of the four zones.
- Class 1 holds 100% interest in the Somanike project.
- After 60 years, Class 1 Nickel Limited is about to drill the Marbridge Mine deeper and drill test the areas around it for possible extensions and new discoveries.
- Located in Abitibi Greenstone Belt in northwestern Quebec
- Close to mining centres of Malartic, Val d’Or, & Rouyn-Noranda
- 60 km by highway from Dumont Deposit
- 20 km to nearest railway
- 3 km from Highway # 409 & high voltage hydro power corridor
- 2 patented mining claims (1.6 km x 1.6 km in size)
- Mining & surface rights are held 100% by Xstrata Nickel
- RNC has strategic claims adjoining Marbridge including 2 recently staked claims
- RNC in conversation with other claim holders
- No farmland on or adjacent to property
- Nearby communities support and understand the mining industry.